Monday, February 23, 2009

Emergency Room Visit

When we took Phoebe in for her pink eye 11 days ago, Dr. Fisher said she also had an ear infection. We were surprised since she hadn't shown any signs of discomfort or fever. They just put her on an antibiotic and things were pretty normal around the Wallis household. Phoebe took a three hour nap on Friday. I think that should have been the first clue - since at the most she usually sleeps an hour when she naps. By Friday evening she had a low-grade fever but was acting fine. Saturday started out normal until she threw up breakfast. Then her fever returned and she napped more than she was awake. The pediatrician said she was ok as long as she was active when she was awake and not dehydrated. However, when she napped, her breathing got real rapid and her fevers seemed to spike. Of course, I started researching the internet and was determined she had pneumonia since she'd picked up a cough and runny nose as well. When we woke up Sunday morning, her fever had broken so I then I thought whatever it was (maybe it was her teeth?) was over, but after her two hour morning nap, her fever returned. We headed to Mom & Dad's for lunch since Auntie Kate was in town and she was quite active and even ate lunch with us, but by her afternoon (two hour) nap, her fever was over 102 and YiaYia suggested we just to go the ER. After speaking to a nurse who said her breathing was too rapid for her age, we had her admitted around 7:00 last night. To see her in a little hospital gown broke my heart. At least they didn't have to hook her up to an IV - I think that would have done us in! It turns out her ear infection didn't go away with the Omnicef they prescribed and she needed a shot. We go to the pediatrician tomorrow to see if it was effective or if she needs another shot. They said if the shot(s) didn't work that we'd have to get tubes put in - which seems a little extreme, but we're taking it one day at a time. Ryan is home with her today so I pray they get some good cuddle time in. She's been getting up every two hours during the night just crying so we're going on little sleep, wishing there was something we could do to ease her pain. Please pray for Phoebe, that the shot does the trick and she's feeling good as new in no time. It's so hard when they can't tell you what hurts or what they need. We'll keep you posted after her check up tomorrow morning. Thanks for your prayers!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I'm so sorry she's sick. We will be praying for all of you!

Jen said...

Rose, I'm so sorry Phoebe has been so sick! How's she doing now?