Monday, September 21, 2009

Jackson Hole

We've been back from Jackson Hole for an entire week now and it was lovely. I am so grateful that I have a job where I'm given an opportunity like this, and to experience it with my husband! I was driving to Fort Wayne yesterday morning and every time I'd cross a flat field, I kept thinking I'd see wild buffalo roaming - but I guess that only happens in Wyoming... I apologize now for all the pictures. With over 400 to choose from, here are a few of our favorites.











Our hotel was in Teton Village, about 15 minutes or so from Jackson Hole at an elevation of around 6000 feet. We took a tram (that serves as a ski lift when there's snow) to about 10,000 feet. It was real cloudy with a rain storm headed our way but I was still struck with fear that people actually ski off mountains like this. Crazy.






They say there are moose, bear, bison and elk everywhere. I prayed that IF we saw a bear, it'd be in a "safe environment." I guess I should be thankful we didn't see any, but I am a little bummed.






This is some famous barn that is captured in lots of famous photography. It's out on Mormon's Row and we saw tons of wildlife on our little venture out this way. We stopped at a bakery called The Bunnery and had the most divine almond concoction and scones I think we've ever had.



We also spent a day at Yellowstone. It was less than 45 miles from where we were but it took ust about two and a half hours to get there since we had to drive through Grand Teton National Park (which was only a mile from Teton Village) and the maximum speed limit was 45 mph. It's truly amazing how God created this world. The beauty that mountains create is truly breathtaking. And then here's what Yellowstone looked like 21 years AFTER the forest fire that swept through in 1988.

We would have kicked ourselves had we not gone to see Old Faithful. I kid you not, there were probably 1000 people seated on benches and standing around waiting for this famous geyser to erupt. It goes off every 92 minutes and we arrived with about 15 minutes to spare. Pretty neat but truly only something you need to see once.






We saw two or three waterfalls in Yellowstone. Each one lovely.


There's also part of the park that they refer to as the "Grand Canyon of Yellowstone." Although it doesn't come close to comparing, it's still an awesome sight to behold.





Here is a mud volcano. This area stunk due to all the sulfur.


Our last day in Wyoming started out very cloudy. It didn't stop us from taking lots of pictures! That's Grand Teton in the middle, standing at over 13,000 feet.






Once we heard that there was a waterfall in GTNP, we decided to take a hike around Jenny Lake and find Hidden Falls.





It was about a 2 hour hike to the falls and once I saw the sign that the falls area was a highly active Bear area, it probably took us about 75 minutes to get back. I made Ryan walk with a large rock in his hand almost the entire way back. It wasn't the smoothest trail I've ever been on, so I praise God that we made it back bear and injury free!



This was the only threatening wildlife we saw on our return trek. See the little monster?



This, unfortunately for Ryan, was his view the whole way back. Seriously, I've not been that scared in a LONG time!


Seriously, if you ever get the chance to visit Wyoming, we highly recommend it. It's God's country out West for certain.


And a great thanks goes out to YiaYia and Papou who so graciously watched Phoebe while we were away. I believe Mom could have slept a good 18 hours the day we returned. We love you guys!!!

1 comment:

Newells said...

I love Jackson Hole...and skiing there is amazing. The beauty just takes your breath away...would love to go in the summer...maybe we should plan a family reunion there? Glad you had fun.